Wednesday, October 26, 2011

What a Quaint Little Book

Old English Household Life - Gertrude Jekyll
Originally published in 1925 - Batsford
Click to buy
I stumbled upon this book last night in a box of books given to me to sell on consignment. This book is still in print and the copy I found was a 1945 British Heritage Series hardcover. Such discoveries are what I so enjoy about being in the book business, coming upon a little gem of a book and putting all things aside for the night to read the little tome. Which is exactly what I did. 


The book took several forays into medieval life, which was what initially caught my fancy, but generally speaking it is about life in England in the last century or two, from a very ordinary perspective of the household. The pictures are fantastic. The snapshot this book affords is so interesting. 


No comments:

Post a Comment