Monday, November 7, 2011

I Long For This Bygone Era

Royal Palaces - M. Morelli
2008 - White Star Publishers

I make this observation in all seriousness - I lament that ostentatious artistry is gone from our modern buildings and reminisce about one of my favorite architectural periods, the Baroque era. This book brings me great joy to witness this period when the greatest artisans came together to produce structures, the great houses of the world, that seem beyond the measure of mortals. Although it would be hard to incorporate in my life, I yearn for the sumptuous and richly decorated great gallery rooms with their gilded plaster work and stucco designs and rococo ceiling frescoes - this makes my head swim.

Amazon description - This book tells of the mysteries and legends of the buildings and the official and secret versions of the history of their occupants. The text is complemented by a series of splendid photographs that together transport the reader on a visit to a place where the lives of royal families and their courts burned bright, and where beauty was mixed with power, the Royal Palaces.

No comments:

Post a Comment