Thursday, November 17, 2011

To eRead or Not to eRead?

Is it Time to Buy an eReader?

Click me!
As a seller of rare books and first editions, as a lover of the tactile experience of the book (hardcovers, preferably), as a collector of the first printings and the like - one would be led to believe that I am against the eReader (the Nook, the iPad, the Kindle, etc.). But I'm not. Not by a long shot. I actually am a bit excited to buy one. But I'm not quite ready yet.

First, which to buy. I wont digress into the merits of the Top 3 - they one up each other too frequently for me to keep track. But if I were to buy one right this minute, I assume I would lean towards the Kindle Fire (the device at left). The iPad is the coolest, but it's cost is too prohibitive. The Nook was the reigning champ in my little world for a bit when it came out with great functionality, a color screen  and an inexpensive price (relative to the Apple product). But with the very recent introduction of the Kindle Fire, Amazon sits at the top spot. And yes, I am aware that the iPad is not solely an eReader, but then again, neither are the Barnes and Noble and Amazon offerings. Lots of functionality in all devices, so in a way, price point is the winning factor.

So what am I waiting for? I am waiting for two things. First, I want an electronic version of the book I buy in hardcover. For free. Why not? I bought the book, in it's most expensive form, why not give me an electronic copy? While in my mind this is not a huge demand, I cant see publishers giving an inch here. So I wont hold my breath. And my second desire has already rounded the corner, but has not yet fully arrived. I want to read magazines and newspapers on my eReader device. Yes, I know that the selection is larger and larger - but it's not fully fleshed out yet. That's what I'm waiting for. (And while I'm on this point, I dont see why an electronic subscription to a magazine should be more than a print subscription. I dont think the consumer should foot the bill for the publishing houses transition to the new era.)

As I mentioned, I am excited about eReading. While I do think the technology could dampen the used and rare book industry (I can also see the argument where it could enhance that very same industry), I laud the eReader for it's ability, in my perception, to increase the amount we collectively read.

No comments:

Post a Comment