Friday, January 20, 2012

Neither the First Nor Last Book on WoW


The Warcraft Civilization: Social Science in a Virtual World - William Sims Bainbridge

2009 - MIT Press


 This is a brilliant book. And a brilliantly ridiculous book.  Yet despite buying this $28 “sociological” examination of a computer game, I never felt duped or cheated or thought ill of MIT Press. 


The following 4 quotes sum up the work for me – I quietly leave them for you not in an effort to give away the entire story, but as a gentle argument why the author is brilliant (but the story is not):


“I studied the World of Warcraft through ethnographic  participant observation  for two years…”


“I tabulated the major professions for 1,096 characters in [a guild:]…”


“ With more than a little shyness, I do conclude it is worth explaining how I constructed the personalities of my twenty-two WoW characters, beginning with the ones I lavished the most time on.”


“At Bohannon’s encouragement I had organized this conference to explore the potential of virtual worlds as meeting places for scientists as well as laboratories for doing scientific research.”


Amazon descriptionAn exploration of the popular online role-playing game World of Warcraft as a virtual prototype of the real human future.

No comments:

Post a Comment