Friday, March 2, 2012

A Fantasy Novel of Manners

Swordspoint - Ellen Kushner
Originally published in hardcover in 1987 - Arbor House


 I feel a bit guilty for giving this book only 7 stars - I'm sure it is a great book were I in a different mood. One of my big dislikes about fantasy novels that deal more in court intrigue is that the finery and frippery detracts from a sense of verisimilitude - And in Swordspoint I found this to the extreme. Perhaps I should give this book another read.


Amazon descriptionOn the treacherous streets of Riverside, a man lives and dies by the sword. Even the nobles on the Hill turn to duels to settle their disputes. Within this elite, dangerous world, Richard St. Vier is the undisputed master, as skilled as he is ruthless--until a death by the sword is met with outrage instead of awe, and the city discovers that the line between hero and villain can be altered in the blink of an eye.

No comments:

Post a Comment